Friday, June 27, 2008

Note to self: make your replacement

In the small amount of time I have lived on earth, I realized this: growth is inevitable and is a natural part of living. Similar to what stagnation is to death.

Now that I am a manager(gasp!) of developers, I realize how much I have grown and changed in different ways through the years. I still remember when I was still on my first job, I always wondered then how my senior project coordinator got his job. He never seriously answered me when I asked him about it. At that point in my life, I thought it would be too hard for me to become like him or any team lead because all I know is write some code, period. I was very blessed to have been friends with the creative web team. They took me in as their own and unknowingly mentored me to become who I am now. I think they are the biggest influence in my life why I have let myself grow to be different than most timid programmers. (And of course, it must be my mutated genes too.)

This, and the fact that the turnover rate in the IT industry is quite high nowadays, have made me conscious that I really need to be quickly training and developing my own replacement now.

Growth is inevitable, stagnation is like death.

No comments: